Form of Assignment
For good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged:
- Artist hereby assigns to Assignee all of his/her rights, title, in and to the Work, including without limitation all copyrights in and to the Work. The rights granted to Assignee include without limitation, the right to sell, modify, adapt, create derivative works of, or otherwise use the Work for any purpose, commercial or otherwise, subject in each instance to rights that other persons may have in the Work (for example, trademark, privacy or publicity rights).
- Artist further transfers to Assignee all rights that are necessary for Assignee to secure registrations, renewals, re-issues and extensions to the Work without exception.
- Notwithstanding the above, the Assignee agrees to make no claim that he or she was involved in creating the Work and will make reasonable efforts to credit the Artist as the creator of the Work after this Assignment is executed.
- Artist represents and warrants that he, she or they (a) are the author of the Work; and (b) have the right and ability to assign the rights to the Work.
- This Assignment is governed by the laws of ____________________ without regard to any conflict of law provisions. With respect to any disputes or claims, you agree to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located within __________________________.
Artist signature: __________________________
Assignee signature: ________________________
This simple agreement is designed to ensure that copyright is properly conveyed from the creator (seller) to buyer, if that is both parties’ wish.
Fill in the artist’s name on the top line, the buyer’s name on the second line and the title of the work on the third line.
On line 4, enter the jurisdiction — often, the United States and the specific state governing the enforcement of the agreement.
Make sure the artist understands what he or she is conveying through the agreement. You’ll need their signature and the date it was executed.
The assignment of rights is often accompanied by monetary compensation in return for the work and the rights to the work. Here is a PDF version of the above document for easy printout:
Here is a Spanish-language version: